17TH MAY 2022
IN LINE WITH ITS COMMITMENT TO GROW THE WOMEN’S GAME, DAZN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL TV DEALS AHEAD OF THIS WEEKEND’S HISTORIC UEFA WOMEN’S CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL
- DAZN to sub-license the much-anticipated Barcelona vs. Lyon final at Turin’s Juventus Stadium on 21 May to TV broadcasters across the UK & Ireland, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Israel, Belgium and Iceland, in addition to DAZN and DAZN’s dedicated UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel
- As global host broadcaster, DAZN has fuelled extraordinary excitement worldwide around the UEFA Women’s Champions League, bringing millions “more eyes” to the tournament
- A nonstop stream of highlights, features, and countdown content is building up to a historic final that will be offered in at least 10 language commentary feeds for fans worldwide
LONDON, 17 MAY, 2022 – DAZN Group, the leading sports entertainment company, has announced today ahead of this Saturday’s historic 2022 UEFA Women’s Champions League final agreements to sub-license final rights to TV broadcasters worldwide. These agreements include ITV in the UK & Ireland, TF1 in France, RTVE and TV3 in Spain, RTBF in Belgium, SVT Sweden, plus NRK Norway, Sport5 Israel and RUV Iceland, with further deals to be closed in the coming days.
Having become the exclusive global host broadcaster for the UEFA Women’s Champions League in 2021, DAZN is dedicated to growing the women’s game including big plans in store all week . An historic UEFA Women’s Champions League season ends with reigning champions Barcelona taking on Lyon for the title in Turin – a match for which at least 10 separate language commentary feeds will be available for fans worldwide to choose from across DAZN, DAZN’s YouTube channel, and local TV broadcasters, including English, French, Spanish, Catalan, German, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, and Icelandic.
Notable DAZN on-air talent will include pro superstar Lianne Sanderson, Arsenal legend Ian Wright, celebrated commentator Lucy Ward, and PSG midfielder and Olympic gold medalist Ashley Lawrence for the English broadcast; Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer Veronica Boquete for the Spanish feed; and retired footballer and current Secretary General of the French Football Federation Laura Georges and former Lyon star Louisa Necib Cadamuro for the French.
Fans will continue to be able to enjoy the action streamed live on DAZN and DAZN’s dedicated UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel, and now also across TV broadcasters in the UK & Ireland, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Israel, Belgium and Iceland.
Shay Segev, CEO, DAZN Group, said: “Securing major terrestrial TV agreements for this momentous final underlines our commitment to increasing visibility of the competition, this epic clash of two world-leading clubs, and also importantly, growing women’s football overall. We are proud of our long-term commitment to contributing towards its global growth – increasing visibility of and access to women’s sport is critical to driving bigger audiences and creating fans and, ultimately, to eliminating the disparity in investment and coverage of women’s and men’s sports.”
DAZN’s broadcasts of this year’s tournament has driven unprecedented figures in the course of just one season:
- 9 million streams/views and counting across DAZN and DAZN’s UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel, with 40.6M views attributed to the DAZN UWCL YouTube channel and 15.3M streams attributed to the DAZN platform
- 2,676,238 live views worldwide across DAZN and DAZN’s UWCL YouTube channel of the El Clásico match on 30 March, breaking world records for viewership
- 1 million total hours of viewership and counting across DAZN and DAZN’s UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel
Watch the UEFA Women’s Champions League Final:
Saturday, 21 May
- Barcelona vs. Lyon: 18:00pm BST / 19:00pm CET 13:00pm ET
Catch all the lead-up content on DAZN’s dedicated UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel, including the following new series:
- The Replay: Two players rewatch highlights of an iconic UEFA Women’s Champions League Final from the past, sharing their personal commentary and thoughts. The first episode with Lyon’s Wendie Renard and Melvine Malard rewatching the 2011 final is already LIVE; the next episode will premiere 18 May and feature Barcelona’s Mapi Leon and Ingrid Engen.
- Route to the Final: Interviews with players from both teams will be showcased in this two-part series, with a particular focus on the knockout stages. The Barcelona episode is out now and Lyon’s will be unveiled on 18 May; featured players include Alexia Putellas, Caroline Graham Hansen, Jenni Hermoso, Christiane Endler, Lindsey Horan, and Delphine Cascarino just to name a few.
- Tunnel Vision: A behind-the-scenes look at players talking about their pre-match superstitions and routines – particularly around the final. Tunnel Vision: Barcelona and Tunnel Vision: Lyon are both out now.
DAZN’s trailblazing exclusive four-year UEFA Women’s Champions League agreement in 2021 marked the first time that UEFA had centralized all Women’s Champions League matches globally. As part of this deal, to further amplify the sport, DAZN also entered into a groundbreaking partnership with YouTube that has made the competition live and free for fans around the world for the first time.
ABOUT DAZN GROUP
DAZN Group is one of the fastest growing sports media companies in the world. Headquartered in the UK and with employees in over 25 countries, our businesses touch every aspect of the way fans engage with sports: from production, through to content distribution and commercialisation. DAZN Group is home to DAZN, the leading global sport destination, as well as the popular sport portal, DAZN News. DAZN is leading the charge to give sports fans around the world access to sport anytime, anywhere. DAZN provides affordable access on most connected devices including smart TVs, set-top boxes, streaming sticks, smartphones, tablets, PCs, and game consoles. DAZN is now live in more than 200 countries and territories after first launching in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Japan in 2016. Visit https://dazngroup.com for more information.