30TH MARCH 2022
PROFESSIONAL WOMEN’S FOOTBALL CROWD RECORD ECLIPSED AT HISTORY-MAKING EL CLÁSICO AT CAMP NOU
- A WORLD RECORD-SMASHING 91,553 IN ATTENDANCE FOR UEFA WOMEN’S CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTERFINAL MATCH BETWEEN BARCELONA AND REAL MADRID
- Photos & Quotes Below; Rewatch Today’s Historic Fixture on the DAZN UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube Channel: HERE
March 30, 2022: With 91,553 football fans in attendance to witness the electric UEFA Women’s Champions League quarterfinal match between Barcelona and Real Madrid inside Camp Nou tonight, the world record for a professional women’s football match has officially been smashed. Barcelona’s 5-2 domination over Real Madrid was streamed live on DAZN and DAZN’s dedicated UEFA Women’s Champions League YouTube channel.
Simultaneously, two other records have been broken this evening, with El Clásico also marking the largest crowd ever for a domestic women’s football match and the biggest attendance ever in the history of the UEFA Women’s Champions League.
(The previous attendance records were as follows: 90,185 at the 1999 World Cup final between USA and China, 60,739 fans for a 2019 domestic women’s club at Atlético Madrid’s Metropolitano Stadium against Barcelona, and 50,212 at the 2012 UEFA Women’s Champions League final between Lyon and Frankfurt.)
NONSTOP AUDIENCE GROWTH
In addition to unprecedented crowd records, viewership of the UEFA Women’s Champions League continues to accelerate worldwide:
- The group stage that concluded in dramatic fashion in mid-December saw more than 14 million views on DAZN’s YouTube channel
- For the first leg of the quarterfinals alone last week, 3.2 million total views were accumulated on the channel
- And, with 1.3+ million LIVE views around the world on the channel as well as DAZN for last week’s Real Madrid vs. Barcelona match, the first El Clásico meeting of the two teams this season has been the most watched fixture yet
- Moreover, DAZN’s YouTube channel gained 42,000 subscribers in the 48 hours of last week’s first quarterfinal leg alone, making the 200,000 subscriber mark for the new channel just inches away
QUOTES FROM TONIGHT
Alexia Putellas – Captain & Midfielder for Barcelona, Spanish National Team Star, and 2021 Ballon d’Or Winner:
- “Many girls will dream of playing on such a special stage. It could be a before and after moment in the world of women’s football.”
Alex Scott – Legendary English Sports Presenter, Pundit, and Former Professional Footballer:
- “We used to play next door and there used to be a couple of hundred people. To have this competition here (Camp Nou) in front of a full stadium, it just shows how far the women’s game has come. It’s great – we are here and we are celebrating it but we know that there are so many steps to keep pushing this game forward.”
- “This evening is just incredible. I used to watch Messi or Danny here and now every young girl is dreaming of playing at this stadium (Camp Nou) in a Champions League game. And, it’s possible because they are witnessing it right now.”
Sandra Riquelme – Distinguished Women’s Football Commentator for DAZN Spain and La Liga:
- “Today we are going to be part of the history of world football”.
- “It’s absolutely amazing. We’ve been watching them for a long time and we’ve seen them play on dirt pitches with small stands and very few people…. It makes my hair stand on end and I’m very proud to have seen it grow to this point”.
Andrea Segura – DAZN On Air Talent, Narrator and Commentator
- “The explosion of women’s football is being represented today”.
RELIVE THE MATCH
Watch and relive the record-breaking broadcast on DAZN’s YouTube channel: